Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout.
Page Count: 268
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Release Date: December 6th, 2011
Who I'd Recommend it To: People who like bad ass MC's, aliens, hot bad boys.
Rating: ★★★★


From Goodreads: Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don’t kill him first, that is.



Review: (Warning: Fangirl-y feels ahead)



If I had to represent this book in a GIF it would be that one. ^

From the synopsis, you think it's going to be one of those infuriating books like Hush, Hush. Well, no, I'm hear to tell you that thankfully it isn't. For one thing, I adored the main character Katy, fellow book blogger. I mean, seriously, she is a Book. Blogger. How cool is that?! There were even references to "In My Mailbox" and "Waiting on Wednesday" (And FYI: I don't do both of those things yet, but starting soon :3). She constantly talked about her love of books, and the kinds of books she liked, and once wore a t-shirt that said "My Blog Is Better Than Your Vlog". I mean, seriously, how could you not like her? And I can't even begin to tell you how much I admired her in this book. When Daemon was being an ass (which was most of the time) she didn't take his crap. When he and another alien, Ash, embarrassed her in the cafeteria, she didn't run away crying. Nope. She dumped her food on them. Four for you, Katy! You go Katy! She was an extremely likable character. She was clever, brave, funny and never put up with anyone's crap. I'm really excited to read more about her.

And now we get to Daemon. Oh, Daemon, you were just a major D-bag throughout the book, weren't you? But a lovable D-bag, of course. He, like Katy, definitely had layers to him and a lot of depth. And I loved loved loved their relationship -- oh my God. Jennifer L. Armentrout, I applaud you. Their relationship never felt forced or unrealistic or anything. And there was no cheese! Their constant banter was hilarious to read. I found myself laughing out loud constantly. And their chemistry was seriously on fire and some of those scenes -- hot dayum. At times I seriously wanted to just be like:



I didn't really care for many of the supporting characters. Katy made friends at the high school with two human girls, Carissa and Lesa, who were entertaining enough but I really didn't care for them at all, really. I liked Dee, Daemon's sister, but I think she wasn't in the book enough to make me care for her fully. The plot was really great. Very fast-paced, action packed -- it really didn't slow down at all whatsoever. The writing was really good, and it was funny, seeing as it was in Katy's POV. 

The alien sci-fi parts were interesting enough, but if you go into the book thinking it's full of that stuff, you're going to be disappointing. Katy only learns that they're aliens about halfway through the book. But when she does learn about it, you get to see all the different things they can do with their powers and you learn about these evil dudes that are hell bent on destroying them -- very much I Am Number Fourish. And while I do wish there was more in this book about the planet they came from, Lux, and more about their brother, I really was more interested in the romance and everything else, honestly. But I'm sure we'll learn more about all that stuff in the next book.

So, in short: I lurrved it.Great characters, great plot, fun and steamy  romance. An unexpectedly wonderful, witty book. Looking forward to the next one, Onyx, which comes out soon!

(And did anyone read the synopsis and think "ALIENS?! LIKE ROSWELL?!" and then wait throughout the book for them to pour Tobasco Sauce on their food. I know I did.)

And now, to finish off this review, I shall leave you with some of my favourite quotes from the novel:

“Oh, fuc—”
Daemon’s laugh cut me off. “I don’t think that’s a good idea. Funny, but not a good idea. Humans are fragile.”
“How about I shove my fragile foot up your ass,” I said, irritated.

“Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.”   

“I don't think he meant to kiss me," I said finally.
"What? Did he slip and fall on your mouth? Those things are known to happen.”

 "Swimming was the last thing I wanted to do. Drowning him? Maybe.”    

No comments:

Post a Comment