Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Review: Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol.
Page count: 221 pages
Publisher: First Second
Release Date: June 7th, 2011
Format: Paperback
Who I'd Recommend it To: Fans of YA graphic novels!
Rating: 5 stars!


From GoodreadsAnya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn’t kidding about the “Forever” part...

Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century.

Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya’s normal life might actually be worse. She’s embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she’s pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend—even a ghost—is just what she needs.

Or so she thinks.


                                                                                                                  

Review:

Anya's Ghost was everything I'd hoped it be - funny, smart, super creepy and totally adorable at times! One of the best YA graphic novels I've read so far, for sure. I loved it.

Anya's Ghost follows Anya, a Russian girl living in America. She's a wonderful main character, and she develops a lot and learns many important lessons throughout the book. She's smart, snarky, sarcastic, negative about everything, and she's hilarious. Favourite kind of character right there, people. At the beginning of the book, she falls down a well and meets a ghost called Emily, who isn't exactly what she seems. And let me tell you, some stuff involving her is damn freaky. I definitely wouldn't want to be on her bad side, for sure. 

As mentioned before, the novel was completely hilarious throughout. Page 111 had me laughing at loud (I, like, cackled. Like Adele. Weird.). The humor wasn't stupid or anything either; it was incredibly smart. And I lurvved the artwork. Absolutely adored it. Represented the characters and their emotions perfectly.

This book has a lot of things going for it. A likable main character, a great high school setting, excellent dialogue, a great message behind it and a touch of paranormal. I can't point out its faults, because in my opinion, it doesn't have any. If you like YA graphic novels, you'll love this one. And even if you don't like graphic novels or haven't tried them, I definitely recommend this.  It's a very enjoyable, fast read that I'll definitely be picking up again soon. I'm eager to see what Vera Brosgol does next!

No comments:

Post a Comment