Thursday, August 16, 2012

Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx (A Lux Novel) by Jennifer L. Armentrout.
Release Date: 14th August, 2012.
Page count: 
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Format: E-Book
Who I'd Recommend it To: Fans of the previous book!
Rating: ★★★★ 
Think this book sounds good?  Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…
Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


Review...
*melts into a puddle*

Excuse me if I ramble on or fangirl at all. OKAY LET'S DO THIS.

I've been eagerly anticipating this book ever since I finished Obsidian, and I'm glad to say that it did not disappoint. I would've read this all in one sitting if it had not been for school (Although I did stay up till 1 to read it. On a school night.  Which obviously is not a good thing!). Onyx pretty much starts where Obsidian left off. Daemon is trying to show Katy how much he cares for her, but she keeps pushing him away, denying her feelings for him (which was annoying as hell, might I add). Then, of course, a new guy comes to the school, and he's normal, he's nice and he's a distraction from Daemon, which is pretty much what Katy thinks she needs. But is he really what he seems? (dun dun dun. . .)

The stakes are definitely higher in this one. Katy and Daemon seem to face some sort of danger everywhere they go, and no one can be trusted. It. Is. Intense.

All the characters were fabulous, as always. Though she is definitely not the same girl from the start of Obsidian, Katy was still great, besides the fact that she was utterly infuriating at times. I love seeing how much she's grown from the first book, and how much she continued to grow during this one. She's definitely matured a whole lot. And, I adore the way she talks about books and blogging. Daemon, of course, was lovely. Like Katy, he's definitely not the same guy we saw at the start of the last book. In this one, although he's still quite up himself most of the time, he shows a more caring, lovable side to him and all throughout the book I was wondering how the hell Katy could keep pushing him away. Katy and Daemon may be one of my favourite fictional couples, like, ever. I love their witty banter, their arguments, and I love how they don't get along 24/7. It's much more realistic than the 'perfect' relationship you see in books sometimes. And some of their scenes.. wow. 

As usual, the secondary characters weren't in the book at all, so I didn't really care for them. I did find myself missing Dee a lot, as she wasn't in this book as much as she was in Obsidian. The parts she was in, though, were hilarious. There were also a couple of new characters introduced, which was .. interesting.

Not gonna lie, I was disappointed with a couple little things. I really wanted to learn more about the planet Daemon and Dee are from, but sadly, we don't get much information whatsoever. And for some reason, I don't think we will in the later books (but hey, I might be wrong!). Some things in this book I found predictable, as well, and usually that doesn't happen very often. Surprisingly, I saw many things coming (but, there was one thing in particular I did not see coming at all) and somethings were a little cliche. 

And damn, was that a cliffhanger at the end, or what?! I'm glad I only have to wait till December to get my hands on the next one!

In short: As good as the first book! I loved every minute of it. Great, lovable characters; fantastic (and steamy) romance; and great action! SO EXCITED FOR THE NEXT INSTALLMENT.

No comments:

Post a Comment