Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review: Hex Hall trilogy by Rachel Hawkins

Seeing as school has been hectic as always, I have been seriously neglecting this site, but I am back again! (I've probably said that like 3790732094732 times, but still.) So let's get reviewing~


Just a heads up: I'll be reviewing the WHOLE series, so that means Hex Hall, Demonglass and Spellbound! If I had to choose one word to describe this series it would be this: FUN. The series is not full of teen angst and deep and meaningful things, it's a hilarious ride full of witty jokes and sarcastic comments. One thing I adored about this book is that it didn't take itself so seriously. It made fun of itself and other books in its genre. It was fantastic.

The author has a simple writing style yet is able to suck you in and really makes you feel like you're there with the characters. I really loved all the characters in these books, and their dynamics and they way they reacted to each other was a really awesome thing to see. I loved the main character, Sophie, who is a super relate-able and a totally likeable heroine. She cracks jokes at the most inappropriate times and is completely hilarious, but also has many layers. Like her, a lot of the characters are really fleshed out and have interesting back stories. There's her best friend, a vampire, who is equally as fun as Sophie. And then, of course, there's the love interest, sarcastic and sometimes romantic, Archer. He was definitely a favorite character of mine in the series.

In the second book (and if you have not read it yet, you might not want to read this), there is the dreaded love triangle. That was mainly my biggest gripe about the series. I mean, I love it to bits, but the whole love triangle in YA fiction is seriously started to get on my nerves. Cal, the other love interest, was interesting enough, but do I think the love triangle was really necessary? No, not really. Did it add to the story? I guess. But only a little bit. In some series, the love triangle works. For instance, I loved The Hunger Games love triangle. In my point of view, Gale and Peeta showed two differents sides of Katniss and showed two different roads she could take after all the chaos happened. It complimented the series. With this one? Not so much.

The last book was definitely not a let down, even though I've read a couple reviews saying it was. The event everything was leading up to in the book did seem a little short and a bit too easy, but overall, it was as fantastic as the others. It was also more emotional and deeper than the previous books. You found out a lot about the characters and their back stories and it also answered many questions. Overall, it was a great conclusion to a fantastic series.

So, in short, it is a marvelous series. If you want something light and you want to take a break from some of the more serious stuff, this is definitely for you. To me, it's kind of like Sabrina and Gallagher Girls--just put together.

My overall rating:

4/5 STARS!










No comments:

Post a Comment